Saturday, April 26, 2014

Saturday on the Homestead: April 26, 2014

Good morning!  I find it utterly amazing that this is the last Saturday in April!  My oldest daughter is going to turn 23 in a little over a week!  I think someone sped up the rotation of the Earth, as time seems to just fly by these days.  Gone are the days wishing time away like I did when I was younger.  Every moment is precious now, and I want to use them all wisely.

Jeff had to work very early today, so we stayed the night at my mother's house last night.  This has a two-fold blessing:  one, I am available to help my sister with my parents or the house, and two, Jeff is only 10-15 minutes from work instead of 45.  We have some errands to run when he gets off work, including a Lowe's run for some sealant for our greenhouse roof.  As often is the case, we may stop for a wee date while we are out.  We do cherish our time together.  He is a hard-working man, and he deserves a wife who gives him undivided attention and care.

Our goals for the weekend once we get home are to get some more of the garden hand-tilled and planted.  I did manage to get a few tomato plants in before it rained a couple of days ago.  I am determined to make do with what we have started from seed this year, not spending any extra on store bought plants.  Hopefully this will show us any adjustments we need to make in our seed starting next year.

We have 21 two-week-old chicks that we incubated and hatched ourselves.  They are cute little fluff balls, but I am ready for them to be out of my living room.  We have 25 meat chickens in the extra part of our chicken coop, and this along with the still-cool nights have kept the chicks in the house for now.  It is a means to an end, so I tolerate it for now.  Jessie does a superb job taking care of them, which helps.

Once I have the greenhouse completely painted and caulked (I may have been avoiding it for the last week or so because of all the bees), we are going to tackle our cellar.  It has a dirt floor, a partial wall of shelves, and not much else but a bunch of junk.  My goal is to clean it all out, have Josh haul gravel to cover the floor, install shop lighting, and eventually put an access stair into the house.  That part will have to come later when we have more time.  I am looking forward to it being more clean and organized and less creepy.

I have some pictures of my garden to post, but my laptop is not cooperating for some reason.  I guess I will share them another time.

We plan on having a family-filled, hard-working weekend, and I hope you all do too!

Blessings,
Debbie




No comments:

Post a Comment