Thursday, April 24, 2014

Practical and frugal uses for two common "weeds"

In my quest to become more natural and at the same time more frugal, I have been making a homemade plantain tincture for a facial astringent for several years now.  This is the first year to try and make enough to last until next spring.  Other than the apple cider vinegar to steep the plantain leaves in, the cleaner is free!  Not only free, but extraordinarily effective and just as importantly, TOXIN FREE! 

If you want to save money and also become more natural and eliminate some poisons from your lifestyle, you can make this too.  It isn't difficult at all.  It is best to use raw apple cider vinegar, like the Bragg's brand from the organic section at Kroger, but I have used and still use regular store bought ACV as well.  If you make your own ACV, it is best not to use it for tinctures because the acidity isn't stable or guaranteed with each batch. 

This is what plantain looks like:






I use a quart jar, wash and cut the leaves at least in half before putting them in the jar so the medicinal properties can be released more readily.  Then cover with apple cider vinegar.  This time, I actually added a little tincture grade vodka to top the jars off, which just aids in getting all of the good stuff out of the leaves.  Most commercial astringents also have alcohol in them. 

Shake daily, and let sit at least a few weeks, up to about 6 weeks.  Strain, and store in a bottle or jar of your choice.  It can be kind of strong, so last year I started diluting it with water by half.  We use with both cotton balls and homemade facial cloths.


The second tincture I have been making this spring, inspired by my daughter, is soaking dandelion flowers and leaves in vinegar, along with dried basil, for our salads.  We switched from commercial salad dressings to using olive oil and vinegar most of the time, along with homemade healthy ranch. 

I have three jars of dandelions soaking so far, but I wish I had remembered to start sooner, so I would have gotten more flowers before they seeded out.  Our vinegar will have even more healthy benefits with the added nutrients from the dandelions!  No man made supplement or product can compare to using what you can find in nature provided by God.

Other the being healthier, one of the best things about these two tinctures are that they are practically free to make.  The money saved can be put towards something else that we need that I can't or don't yet make myself.

Try it!  You can do it too!!





Blessings,
Debbie, Home at Serenity Springs (facebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment