Saturday, April 19, 2014

Saturday on the Homestead: April 19, 2014

Jeff and I have had a bit of a long, difficult week.  He has been fighting cough and illness all week, and I have been contending with a corresponding lack of sleep.  I normally don't ever wish time away, but both of us were so thankful when Friday got here.

I have planted a few new things today from seeds I have been soaking:  crimson clover, thyme, white yarrow, sweet williams, and some more rhubarb.  Some I planted in my tires, some in a long outside pot, and the rest in my garden. 

I am disappointed that the 10 tomatoes I planted last week all look dead.  We worked hard cultivating those guys from seed.  Success and failure are part of every gardener's life, but it sure is a bummer!  Fortunately, we have more tomatoes almost ready to put in the ground, so I will just try again soon.

One of the things I am not liking about spring are the huge bumblebees dive-bombing our heads whenever we are near the greenhouse.  We have a badminton racket to swat them if they bother us too much.  If they would just peacefully do their thing, I could ignore them more easily, but they are quite aggressive.  I am not afraid of too much, but my husband (and brother-in-law) have been deriving great pleasure from my girly squeals when the bees are pestering me.  They get these manly amused smiles on their faces and I am just glad I can help make their day....

Jessie served us breakfast in bed this morning, which was a wonderful surprise.  She made healthy pancakes with homemade banana whipped cream, turkey bacon, and eggs.  Yummy!! 

I am almost done painting the inside of the greenhouse, and the outside needs one more coat, but here is a picture of the "almost" finished project.  I am SO proud of my husband for designing and building it.  You can barely see our 2 lemon trees inside.

And there is the most beautiful granddaughter in the world, Hadassah Haven Miracle and her dog Willow (she says Lillow).  We went to look at land with Mark, Alix and the kids this morning before we started working. 

Jeff and I are running a load of trash off to town today, and we may indulge in a wee date while we are out.  I know I have said this before, but it is so important to actively cultivate your relationship with your spouse by spending quality and quantity alone time with them when possible.  Jeff and I have worked hard over the years to get where we are, and it hasn't always been good or easy.  But I am thankful we have hung in there and are where we are today: best friends!

I hope you all have a fun, blessed weekend.  We are looking forward to eating dinner with family tomorrow and spending time with them.

Blessings,
Debbie,  Home at Serenity Springs (facebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment