Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Why I still read aloud to my half-grown kids

We don't like the terms "teens" or "teenagers" in our family because of the connotated immaturity and rebellion they imply, so we usually say young men and young women.  We still have 2 children that we homeschool; Amber is 15 and Joshua is 14.

I have read to all four of my children well into their childhoods, and am still reading to the two still at home.  Jessie (19) will sometimes even listen in when she isn't busy with something else.  We cover a variety of genres when we read together.

Some may wonder why a parent would still feel the need to read aloud when her children are practically grown and can certainly read for themselves.  Some may even feel that it is babyish or immature.  I obviously disagree.

I LOVE this time with my children no matter their age.   When they were young, the stories stimulated their imaginations and helped their brains develop.  We would snuggle while we read, and they would ask endless questions like kids do.

The older they get, the more in-depth we can get with our discussions.  By listening to and watching their mother read, they are drawing close to me and I to them.  This has always been so precious to me.

It is at times a labor of love.  I don't always feel like it, but my heart always desires the closeness.  I love them enough not to let them escape each school day into individual obscurity.   I love them enough to require them to sit through a shared story together even when they don't feel like it.   This seldom applies to Amber, who absolutely adores being read to, but Joshua IS a boy, and has been historically fidgety at times.

My time with them is waning.  I can feel it persistently fading away.  I simultaneously want them to grow up and be Godly, successful individuals following God's plan and also desiring them to be my babies forever.  I am sure most parents experience this dilemma.

I would encourage all parents with children at home of any age to read to them.  If they are older, it could be news articles or an in-depth biblical study book.  Anything that gets their noses out of electronics and television and actually focused on other family members.

I don't and never will regret the time devoted to reading to my children.  They are worth it.   Amber told me it makes her feel special, and Joshua said that he wants to continue the tradition when he has kids.

It truly is never to late to start a good habit.  Reading to our children is a habit worth establishing.   The benefits will last long into their lives.  They are absolutely worth our time and undivided attention.

As always, feel free to share this post with your friends!

Here is a valuable resource for those who are interested - What to Read When:The Books and Stories to Read with your Child

Blessings,
Debbie, Home at Serenity Springs (Click here and come like my Facebook page)

No comments:

Post a Comment