Saturday, April 12, 2014

Saturday on the Homestead: April 12, 2014

I am spending the day at my mother's house in town, helping my sister out wherever I can.  It's a beautiful day, and I am so thankful for the sunshine and warm weather, as I am sure many are.  We have been quite busy around the homestead, with some spring planting, painting the greenhouse, weeding beds, and starting a little spring cleaning in the house. 

We ordered two small (up to 10 feet) lemon trees and an avocado tree that can be grown in pots in our greenhouse.  I am excited to try something new, as we have never grown these before.  I can't wait for our first harvest from them!  The lemon trees we got are supposed to be slightly less acidic with a hint of orange taste.  I will post pictures of them soon.

Last week, I got our sunflowers planted, some radishes, toothache plant seeds, and 10 tomato plants.  I have several seedlings of different things ready to transplant, but just haven't gotten to them yet.  My love of gardening is growing, and I find it a serene and relaxing thing to do. 

I can't wait to finish our greenhouse so I can show everyone our before and after pictures.  We are almost there after a lot of hard work.  It will be interesting this fall when it cools off again to see what we can grow in it.  I am hoping to at least grow salad greens in it all winter. 

Jeff had to work today, which is always a mixed blessing.  Jessie, Amber and Josh are working today making higher than average wages to spread 500 bags of topsoil at a friend's house.  Those kids are hard workers, and I am so thankful for that. 

While certainly not perfect, I do delight in them more often than not.  We have a lot of fun together.  Sometimes we get distracted in the morning after breakfast just chatting away together, and before we know it, over an hour has gone by.  We call it the "Newman distraction."   At times we'll be doing our Bible study, and we may stop to look up some information to answer a question in our reading, and that will lead to something totally unrelated.  We don't even consciously realize we are majorly off topic because we get so wrapped up in what we are talking about.  It amuses me greatly.

We are still in auto-repair mode with our Nissan truck as it still isn't running properly.  Today when Jeff gets off work, we have to go buy a valve cover gasket.  Hopefully that will finish up repairs for that vehicle for awhile.  All of our vehicles are used and could use some work of one kind or another, but nothing too major except for our green Dodge truck, which I think needs some engine work.

I'm working on a design for a wood sign for our homestead, and will get someone local to make it for me to use as my new logo.  If you have any ideas for my design, let me know in the comments, as I haven't landed on anything solid yet.  Something homestead-y. 

I tried to download a picture of my fiery red-headed mama on here, but this computer won't upload my most recent photos for some reason.  So instead, here is a picture of our spoiled Aussie and Border Collie, Ellie and Sahara.  This is their, "Excuse me, we are INSIDE dogs, so let us back in", faces.

 

Until next time and God Bless,
Debbie, Home at Serenity Springs






No comments:

Post a Comment