Wednesday, March 26, 2014

All-natural Healthy Recipe for Homemade Mouthwash

I made a quart of this recipe today, but didn't put all of it in the bathroom at once.  I had a small empty maple syrup jar that I put it in and labelled it.  It took me no more than 5 minutes from start to finish, once I assembled the ingredients.





Here's the recipe:

1 c water
2 t baking soda
1/2 t myrrh tincture (I didn't have this for this batch, so I skipped it and it was fine.  It will just be a lot more medicinally effective with it included)
4 drops tea tree oil
4 drops of one of these (cinnamon oil, peppermint oil, lemon oil)
1 t vodka (I didn't use this either, but I may next time)
1/8 t stevia (If you don't mind unsweet mouthwash, you don't have to use this.  You can also start with less, if you don't want it very sweet)

You can also add a drop or two of any or all of these:  clove oil, spearmint oil, rosemary oil
You can substitute the water for mineral water to make it even healthier.

I used cinnamon oil, and it has a bit of a hot bite to it, but I like it.  The oils I actually ended up using were:  cinnamon oil, lemon oil, spearmint oil, and a micro drop of clove oil because that was all I had before it ran out.  You can make the recipe as is, or add or delete as you desire.  I almost always do something different.

I have found quality oils at a reasonable price at planttherapy.com.    These oils are steam distilled with  no chemicals added.

If you prefer, you can get several of the oils if you click on the More Than Alive logo on the side of my blog.  They have lemon oil, peppermint oil, and clove oil, which would be sufficient to make a good mouthwash.  Also, if you have a health food store in your area, they may carry essential oils.

You can get stevia at Wal-Mart or Kroger that would work to sweeten your mouthwash.  Just don't get a blend which has other sweetening ingredients, which may not be good to leave on your teeth.  You could also order it HERE.  This is pure stevia, with no added ingredients like glucose, which you will find in a lot of stevia in grocery stores.   Glucose may not be good to put in a mouthwash to sit on your teeth, so it may be best to buy pure stevia, or leave your mouthwash unsweetened.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have!  Feel free to share this post with your friends.

Blessings,
Debbie,  Home at Serenity Springs (Find us on Facebook here)

No comments:

Post a Comment