Saturday, January 4, 2014

Wherever you are, be all there

"Wherever you are, be all there"

This is one of my all time favorite quotes, spoken by Jim Elliot, a missionary who died while ministering to the Waodoni natives in Ecuador.  If you have never seen the movie based on his story, End of the Spear, it's worth a watch. (Buy the movie "End of the Spear" HERE).  Redeeming forgiveness is the ultimate theme of this movie - something amazing to behold in its rarity and ever so hard to offer to those who have wronged us.

I digress, however, from the wonderful quote of being all there.  This subject almost writes itself in today's multi-tasking world.  This quote has haunted me the past couple of years, coming back to me at the oddest times and places.  Being completely where you are at and who you are with is an obvious concept, but can be a lofty goal without concerted effort, at least in my experience.

I confess, I still need to work on this one.  My mind can be so busy and convoluted that I lose my focus on the moment.  I want to do better; I need to do better.  Don't you hate being a distracted, mind-busy mess that can't even enjoy the precious moments of the day?

Can you imagine the rewards if we mastered the art of being all there for our kids, our husbands, our wives,  or anyone else who is sharing time with us?  I pray this quote continues to come back to me when I fall prey to distraction.  There will be times when we are pulled in several directions, but I think we can make it a habit more than not to try to slow down and focus on one thing at a time, enjoying each moment to the fullest.

It certainly sounds a lot more peaceful to the soul, as well, does it not?


Blessings,
Debbie, Home at Serenity Springs

No comments:

Post a Comment