Saturday, February 13, 2016

Our Big News

Good morning!  It is a COLD one here in Tennessee, and we remain thankful for our warm wood stove.  We have had some big news to share for a couple of months now.

To recap our current living situation, we moved from the city where we had been for over 20 years in a house we had purchased .  Jeff had desired to move to the country for years, and at the time,  I was quite content to be a city girl.

My mother-in-law thought she was getting dementia, so she moved from her old home to several miles away with her daughter, Angie- Jeff's sister.  This left her house unoccupied, so we sold our house and moved to her house in the country.

We have lived here about 5 years now, and due to circumstances beyond our control, have had to look into doing something else.  We had the option of putting a small home of some kind somewhere else here where we are, but after consideration, Jeff decided we needed to look elsewhere for something, either unfinished property, or a small home with a few acres.

The acreage was more important to him, so near the holidays, we ended up focusing on bare land.  After many false starts, we found a place only about 7 miles from where we are now.

It is 18.5 acres, and it has an old trailer on it that we are currently tearing down.   It is completely wooded, except for around a 1/2 acre.  It sits up on a hill, and our driveway is VERY steep.  Once we clear the part towards the road, an acre or so will be cleared.

It is going to be so beautiful when we are done.  God has blessed us , and we are thankful.  We don't know yet what we will do as far as a home goes, but I will share the stages my thinking has gone through in the last few months.

First, I knew I didn't want the stress of building.  I said we were too old for all that malarkey.  Then, we decided to put a manufactured home on it.  We looked at them, and some are really nice.  In the last few days however, God has put a verse in my heart that I want to share.

"Be content with the things that you have...".   As I pondered this message, I came to the following conclusions:

                            1.   This world is not our permanent home, so we
                                 really don't NEED anything fancy or expensive

                            2.  I don't want to put my husband in debt for
                                 years to come.

                            3.  We won't have the kids at home too much
                                 longer, and two people do not need much
                                 room.

So, in light of that, we are going to use the frame on the trailer we are tearing down, and are going to build something small on it.  We already have cabinets, tubs, appliances, etc that we purchased for this house, which is another good reason not to waste money on a manufactured home that comes with all that stuff.  We may even do something redneck like attach our camper to it as well.

Who knows?  But I am greatly relieved and excited that God has changed this city girl's heart enough that I can be happy with this choice and not put us under the bondage of more debt.

I'll post pictures soon of our progress.  Oh, and since it doesn't have a spring on the property, I will be changing the name of my blog once we move.  Something with "acres, woods, or hill (s)" probably.  If you have suggestions, tell me in the comments.

Blessings,
Debbie, Home at Serenity Springs


No comments:

Post a Comment